Friday, November 4, 2011

Internet dating

To anyone who might be googling me after I have blocked their profile: please just understand that I know you are probably a great person, and if I were just looking for someone to have a conversation with, I wouldn't rule out or block anybody. Looking for someone to spend the next 50 years with, though, requires a completely different standard.

It would help, of course, if the current computerized dating services were smart enough to only send matches I would seriously consider (at a minimum: well educated, fluent in English, able to walk a mile in 15 to 20 minutes, doesn't think Obama is the worst thing to happen to America, isn't going to insist on trying to convert me to their religion, answers "Yes" and not just "Maybe" to "Want kids:", etc., etc.), but instead, the computer just doesn't get it, and I end up being the one to have to do this initial screening. Please don't take it personally. (In fact, if you can manage it, don't take anything personally; your life will really improve if you can do that.)

I realize you are great, and even if not necessarily the best fit for me, you will no doubt be just who someone out there is looking for. In the meantime, by concentrating less on "finding the right person" and more on "being the right person," things will fall into place for you even sooner. I hope they do.

No comments: